Please click the Submit link in the frame to your left to submit to S/tick after fully reading these guidelines!
S/tick publishes 2-4 issues per year and accepts rolling submissions. Due to a high volume of submissions we are now accepting blog-only material as well as contributions to the issues so that we can get as many feminist voices out there as possible! Please read all guidelines before pasting a submission into the submissions manager below to be considered for both the blog and the online issues. A small portion of submissions chosen for an upcoming issue will be posted to the blog as a “teaser” (e.g. a paragraph, stanza, or single piece of artwork).
Welcome to S/tick! We want submissions of your feminist art and creative writing. Tell us your stories and challenge the status quo. Try odd or forgotten writing forms, like haibuns, on us. Or, if none of these red dresses fits you, simply ensure you redress something of interest to women!
We encourage you to check out our issues by clicking the links to your left to get a sense of what we’re looking for and what your work might look like in our journal. Our hope is to provide a community for feminist writers and artists, so please offer a little of your time to those who have contributed!
The following submissions criteria must be met to be considered:
1. Note: If this criterion is not met, the submission may not be responded to. Unless the issue theme indicates otherwise, submissions must be somehow related to women. Female protagonist or speaker or subject matter that pertains to women’s issues are examples. A feminist point of view is probably the best example, but is not necessary. A submitter does not have to identify as feminist. Women and Canadian artists may be given preference, though all are invited to submit.
2. Do not include a bio. We will request an artist’s statement that asks how feminism or gender influences your work if we accept your submission for an upcoming issue.
3. Do not send pieces or excerpts longer than 2000 words. A grace count of approximately 500 words will be considered where the piece is strongly relevant to women or feminism, but otherwise a piece that exceeds the count may be deleted unread.
If you have a piece much longer than this that you would like to submit, please send an excerpt, letting us know that it is an excerpt and what the total word count is, and we will request more if we are interested. Alternately, we may accept the excerpt alone.
We will consider the following: one piece of prose up to 2000 words; up to three poems less than 2000 words together; up to ten pieces of artwork.
4. Issues pertaining to publication:
a) We cannot accept previously published work, though we may consider art or writing that appears on your personal website, provided you link to S/tick as an alternate place of publication.
b) For writing or art that is published again later, we ask only that you please identify it as previously published in S/tick so that you can help give a wider audience to all our talented contributors, yourself included!
c) Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, but please inform us via e-mail at email@example.com as soon as a submission is accepted elsewhere. Multiple submissions (another submission after the first has been responded to) will not be considered.
d) You own the copyright to all your own work, but give us first publication rights.
e) We cannot at this time pay you in any way for your work. The pdf issues and blog are free to the public, and you are free to download the issues. We hope you will share our beautiful issues widely!
f) We will consider work from those artists who have previously been accepted, but please wait six months before submitting again. We will be happy to consider those previously published at any time for an interview for our …And Stones feature if you e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with information about your fabulous woman-centered activities!
5. a) In the submissions manager below, please choose “Text” for a poem or story and “Photo” for any artwork.
b) Please include your name, location, and e-mail address at the top of the text box. By submitting to S/tick you consent to being added to our mailing list, from which you will receive only a handful of e-mails each year regarding issue launches and the occasional themed call for submissions.
c) Please read and accept the terms of submission.
d) Select any relevant tags from the list, and feel free to suggest any further tags relevant to your submission for consideration by the editor.
Thank you for your interest and support! We look forward to working with you!
—Sarah-Jean Krahn, Managing Editor
with Ada Sharpe, Contributing Editor